| Home Science and education Scientific Laboratories Laboratory of nonlinear polarization optics
Laboratory of nonlinear polarization optics
- The mechanisms of evolution of polarization during radiation propagation in nonlinear media with nonlocality of optical response.
- Nonlinear laser spectroscopy, ellipsometry.
- Formation of inhomogeneously polarized light beams and pulses
- Polarization singularities: formation, propagation and morphology
- Nonlinear optics of liquid crystals
All laboratory`s grants
Experimental observation of phenomenon of nonlinear optical activity predicted by S.A. Akhmanov and V.I. Zharikov in 1967 have stimulated subsequent development of nonlinear polarization optics and spectroscopy in M.V. Lomonosov Moscow University. Since 1975 until present time there was performed fundamental theoretical end experimental research and essentially new results were obtained in physics of waves in nonlinear media with nonlocality of nonlinear optical response at the Chair of General Physics and Wave Processes. This research includes the processes of interaction and localization of electromagnetic waves at different frequencies and elliptic polarization at the surface and in the bulk of the medium, in liquid crystals, in spatially inhomogeneous media, in waveguides and resonators. As a result, a new field of science has originated, the nonlinear polarization optics, providing new insights into the interplay of polarization effects in classic nonlinear optical processes.
The results obtained allow one to predict, to consider and to describe the effects of electromagnetic waves intensity and polarization changes in crystals, metamaterials, liquids and liquid crystals. These results are necessary for the problems of generation of light beams and pulses with desired distribution of intensity and polarization, and they are promising for the development and experimental realization of new spectroscopic methods of investigation of medium properties.
At the present time it is generally recognized that phenomena of polarization self-action and interaction of waves are subtle but widespread effects, and the use of the approximation of the unchanged polarization in theoretical analysis of wave propagation usually is not justified and can be considered only as the first step to the subsequent description of the nonlinear optical phenomena.
- Students working in our lab will attain thorough knowledge of fundamentals of optics of media with spatial dispersion and nonlinear wave optics. They become familiar with the latest achievements in the field of linear and nonlinear polarization optics all over the world. Scientific work in our laboratory gives very useful experience of elaborating the solutions (approximate or precise) of various complex mathematical problems resulted from the theoretical research within the scope of our laboratory. Additionally, students will have possibility to become familiar with standard mathematical software and to attain basic skills in computer simulations.
Phone: (495) 939-31-47
Room: 2-07 ÊÍÎ